Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Plans, plans, plans

As a conference-speaker, you have to announce your speaking-assignments on the internet...

Posting on the internet (Twitter, FB, blogs, forums even) generates links for the event-organizer,

Posting on the internet generates interest in your presentations...

But most of all, it allows me to "publish" my travel plans.

This particular post also serves to earn me a free (and hopefully safe) parking space somewhere... hehehe.

Plan for my October business trip is:
 - [tentative] POM: Paris Oracle Meetup
 - POUG.org: Polish Oracle User Group conference
 - SIOUG.si: Slovenian Oracle User Group
 - HROUG.hr : Croatian Oracle User Group

On a map, it looks like this..

Any one interested to come to my ppts ?

Saturday, 16 April 2016

The next ride.. 

This spring I am lucky to speak at :

OUGF.fi (18+19May)

SrOUG.rs (25-26May)

BgOUG.org (3-4June)

I hope to learn a lot again: I always get a lot of good info out of those conferences.

But another reason to do this is of course: to ride the motorcycle...

(why doesnt google maps provide a motorcycle icon.. they know enough about me to server up adverts...)

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

SIOUG and HROUG both at 20th Edition

Next week I will try to ride by (and speak at) SIOUG and HROUG conferences.
Both events are at their 20th Edition, so extra-celebrations.



Also, many other Oracle friends seem to have discovered this corner of the world.

Travel plan is approximately.. (I will try to include some nice mountain roads.... )

Monday, 11 May 2015

SROUG and BGOUG, by motorcycle, of course....


Next months I plan to visit (and speak, to justify the trip) at SrOUG and BgOUG.

The links to the usergroups are here:

alt text..
27-29 May, Zlatibor


12-14 June, Plovdiv.

The intended route is here on googlemaps.

On this trip, I will try to take more time to see things and talk to people (and taste coffee and local food). I also need some time to work remotely for a customer.

But I cannot wait...

Thursday, 2 October 2014

Riding to SIOUG and HROUG

Usergroups are the lifeblood of a good community. And I like to help a little, but visiting or speaking if I can.

Hence I will be speaking at SIOUG.si and HROUG.hr usergroup conferences together with some some old friends and lots in interesting new people that I look forward to meeting.

Check the links to the conferences here. SIOUG is in Lubljana, the lovely capital of Slovenia:

And HROUG is in Rovinj, on the Adriatic coast:

This trip will not be as long as expedition I did last summer, visiting 3 conferences, doing 12000km including some classic mountain passes. But I still look forward to riding a lot of interesting roads on
the motorcycle.

The previous trip was a Great Success.  So let's do it again.

Here is the approximate route-plan for the coming weeks:

the route.. click to enlarge

If anyone who lives along the route wants a quick consulting visit or simply has good coffee, drop me a note. I always like to stop by hospitable folks (and I may need to dry some clothes if the weather isn't cooperating)

In case of moderate weather, I will have to use the toll-roads and tunnels like everybody else, but if the weather is good, I will search out some real motorcycle roads !

Best thing I ever did: re-start my motorcycle-life after so many years!

Friday, 11 April 2014

Simple, just go.

Despite an interesting migration project coming up, here is my travel plan for the summer... 

Ferry tickets Talinn-Helsinki-Talinn are booked, I guess I'm committed. 
No airplanes for me this time: plain two wheels (more simple? maybe).

At least one customer is gently asking to stay in touch by providing a laptop and/or remote facility.
Any tips for finding good Wifi on the trip ?

I'l put up some more details when I have them, and the more personal, non-Oracle stuff probably goes the pdvsecondblog where I tend to put my bike-pictures (yep,  new hobby)... 

Saturday, 23 November 2013

DOAG 2013 was Very Good - Danke Schön !

Back from DOAG2013 and I can say it was One of the Best Conference Ever.

The organisation is near perfect, the venue is very suitable, DOAG has free public transport arranged. And there is good food all day long. (Good, Tasty, and free!). And the Mercator Lounge provided Exellent Coffee too.

Needless to say the content of the presentation was Excellent (and I've learned a bit more Deutsch as well). And I met up with  many old + lots of new friends.  (could insert long list of names, facebooks, blogs, and twitters...)

Learned a lot of useful stuff and also many hig-tech items. And Still need to investigate a lot of the notes I made. (I suppose there is a download option for ppts as well.. I want to re-read some).

If there is anything to remark, maybe two small things:
1. Tip: Gently nudge the audiences to fill in pieces of paper with remarks (ask UKOUG!). That way the speakers get comments from those who dont want to talk directly. And both the organizer and the speaker  Learn a bit extra. Some surprising feedback I've had too (possibly a blogpost someday)
2. Wifi... It didnt work for my laptop most of the time (slow, bloated, corporate box, so maybe "duh"), but also worked only half the time on the Nexus7. We all know WLan is difficult in public venues, but still.
Oh and: the time+again ticking of a box and clicking a button is .... childish and annoying.
(but most venues do it, probably for legal reasons...).

Please dont take these two points negative, because the total Conference was GREAT.
Please give me the excuse to visit again: Just accept one of my silly abstracts, put me in some graveyard timeslot and I'm a happy bunny.

Danke Schön !